Wednesday, June 26, 2013

No Judgment Here...

I read a statement on twitter today from Matthew Barnett that said, “The stronger our walk with God, the less we judge. Awareness of our own flawed self produces kindness and understanding.”  I'd also like to add, our walk is often stronger because God loves us unconditionally.

I can hardly believe it’s been over a year since I’ve posted a blog.  Where does the time go?  For a season all I did was write.  I felt getting my “Book” in shape was the best use of my time.  However, as I sit here today, so too does my book; not published and waiting for God’s perfect timing.  I had a literary agent for a year who tried very hard to sell the book to no avail.

I watched a reality TV show a while back where a contestant was voted off.  After which they asked him the question, “Well, how does it feel to get voted off?”  What a silly question!  He probably felt like a failure, but that’s not what he said.  He was twenty-three years old and his answer was kind and confident.  He said, “Well, I guess God has another plan.”  What a mature answer for such a young man.  I have never forgotten his statement and today that's my answer when people asked why my book hasn't been published.   

I think the reason I haven’t written is because I wanted to write when I had something to write about.  Mainly my book being published, but that hasn't happened.  Maybe I feared the judgment of man on top of my personal disappointment.  However, I realized being authentic is the only way I know.  People relate to it and there is no shame in telling the truth.  So I figured it was time to write.  Life has a way of changing.  Actually, there are many exciting things on the horizon right now—just not things I planned.  Someone once said, “If you want to make God laugh, tell Him your plans.”  No truer words were ever spoken.  So for now, I must wait and move forward all at the same time.  Although there are seasons when I get frustrated with waiting, I still believe that Father knows best! 

I know there are thousands of people out there who benefit from my testimony and ministry, but there’s a down side to it as well.  The world we live in seems so harsh, bullying and fault-finding, it’s hard to hear all the judgment and criticism you get, even when you are doing it to serve others.  Everyone is an expert at everything; they also have the internet to voice their opinion on a regular basis, and they do.  

I think the hardest thing to do is be true to yourself without fearing the judgment of others.  The truth is there are so many rules.  For example: You have to write on your Twitter account every day at least twice a day. But there are certain things you can and cannot write—who knows what those things are.  Be careful what you post on Facebook, it might come back and bite you!  If you don’t post things, according to them, whoever “they” are, you can’t be successful.  If you do, you run the risk of being judged.  You have to post your sermons and testimony on U-Tube or no one will know you exist.  However, having spent the last thirty-seven years trying to remove things from the Internet—I’m still trying to get the hang of posting everything on the Internet!  Oh my! 

Furthermore, how do you keep others from judging you when you tell them everything you do? Sometimes when people judge you without them considering you are a real person with real feelings, it hurts.  The majority of the time it comes from people you don't even know.  Oh well—we can't please everyone in life.  It just isn't realistic.  The truth is, my life is a living testimony and it speaks for itself.  I also know there are more good people in the world than bad--they're just a little quieter.  My prayer: To be kindly affectionate and understanding towards others, remain aware of my own personal flaws and leave all judgment up to God. 

Thanks Matthew...

Rev Daina House
6/26/13

2 Comments:

Blogger Bob said...

Dear Rev. Daina,
“God has another plan.” You summed it up pretty well with that quote from the wise, young man voted off the TV show. Although you may feel some personal disappointment, so many people truly DO benefit from your testimony – book or no book.
Your reflections also made me think of the expression “Actions speak louder than words” and your actions over the years speak volumes as a courageous witness to the power, love, and forgiveness of Christ. Eventually, your book will be published, be it in print or electronically. So, even as your story - one of great hope and trust in God - is somewhat under the radar of today’s cultural mad dash, it is not lost on so many “good and quiet people”. The politically and culturally correct kings and queens of the social media networks, Twitter, Facebook, LindedIn, etc. undoubtedly have influence, but ultimately God has the last word. Keep up the great work!

p.s. – Have you considered placing small segments of your book onto your blog from time to time? This route might not only prove beneficial and insightful to your readers, but serve to sharpen and boost interest in the book. Plus, you’ve already put in time and effort on the writing. Just an idea.

June 28, 2013 at 9:00 AM  
Blogger Rev. Daina House said...

Bob:

Thank you so much for your kind words, they are truly appreciated. Your suggestion to post parts of the book; something to pray about..

Blessings,
Daina

June 28, 2013 at 9:38 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home