Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Weddings and Marriage

I recently attended a beautiful wedding in Laguna Beach. One of my best friend's son was getting married. They were a young, adorable couple. At the reception, everyone at my table was married except one woman who brought her son.

All throughout the reception, I was asked, “Why aren’t you married Daina, you are so pretty.” First of all, I don’t really have the answer to that, and second of all, I don’t think it has anything to do with my being pretty. When I was younger, I dated a lot. I was also married for seven years to a man who cheated on me. Then had a child with another man who never wanted or accepted his son. Thus I spent twenty years raising my son alone. Did that taint my feelings about men? Absolutely not, I am open and willing to be married, if that’s what the Lord wills.

When I first came to the Lord, I dated a man who was extremely loving, but he was also controlling and jealous. The Lord made it very clear, that this was not my husband and I was devastated. I loved him and begged God to change His mind; He never did. At the same time, a girlfriend of mine prophesied that either this man would be my ministry, or I would have a ministry! I never gave the prophecy much thought, but I now realize I'm walking in that prophetic word; I have a ministry, but no man.

I have dedicated my whole life to serving the Lord and His people. However at the wedding, something happened to me. All the way home I thought about the beautiful couple, and how many people in the room were married. The question of why I wasn't married lingered in my head. I asked myself, am I really ok with being single? My answer was yes. I decided that I do not need to be married to feel a sense of accomplishment or complete fulfillment. I'm happy with my life, and I wouldn't change a thing, even if I could. I have chosen the work of the ministry and consider myself blessed.

The next day in church, during worship, the Holy Spirit came upon me, and for the first time in a long time, I came undone. I began to weep and say yes to Him.  I found myself making vows to Him as my husband. I told Him I would be faithful to His ministry and His call on my life. I told Him that I trusted Him in every area of my life.

I've found that God's timing is perfect.  He knows me intimately and I am sure He hasn’t forgotten I'm single. Still, it's hard sometimes to be the only one in the room without a mate. However, please don’t think my life is empty without marriage, because I am married to the best husband of all, Jesus Christ!

Rev Daina House
12/16/09

2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

why did Ijust break down rite now? i love you soooo much and i have felt the same so many a times, i dont have much to say other than i wish i could make it better so you would never cry again... i guess its the mommy in me ... i love you so much pastor and your position is soo much more valuble than what we see with the human eye.. love me..

February 9, 2010 at 5:58 PM  
Blogger Rev. Daina House said...

Theresa:

I love you and I appreciate your beautiful spirit! God knoweth all...

February 12, 2010 at 7:19 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home